The remote Institutional exam option is only available to UTEP students who fall into either of the following categories:
1. If you currently live outside of El Paso County and planning to attend UTEP in person or
2. Will be attending UTEP as an online student through UTEP Connect or other UTEP online programs.
Listed below are the options available to you for completing the TSI Assessment remotely. After reviewing the different options select which one you would like by clicking on the link for specific instructions.
The Pre-assessment Activity Module (PAM) is a state mandated, online pre-assessment required of all students who need to complete the TSI Assessment.
The PAM is an online practice exercise which gives students prior exposure to the types of questions that will be presented on the actual TSI Assessment.
The PAM also will assist the students in identifying any academic weaknesses in the three areas of Math, reading and writing prior to attempting the actual exam.
The PAM must be completed before attempting the TSI Assessment regardless of the option selected. The PAM does
not need to be proctored or supervised and can be completed on any internet enabled computer.
Navigate to /Testing/PAM for instructions on how to complete the online PAM.
Click on your chosen option to get detailed instructions:
- The Virtual TSI Assessment can be completed in your home
- The Virtual TSI Assessment is monitored live by a third-party company
- An internet enabled computer and web cam are required
- The Virtual TSI Assessment requires a $25 exam fee which is paid online with a credit card prior to testing
- The Remote TSI Assessment can be set up through the testing department of local community college or university
- Exam materials are sent to the designated local college and the student will travel to the institution to complete the TSI Assessment.
- College testing centers might charge a proctoring fee which is set by the local institution.
- Print out and complete the Distance Testing Request form
- This option is available to students who are currently enrolled in high school and not graduated before completion of the TSI Assessment
- High school counselors are eligible to administer this exam
- The counselor will need to be present at all times during the test administration
- The test can last several hours
- Print out and complete the Distance Testing Request form.