The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will use relevant information to determine a student’s “TSI compliance status” and TSI assessments the student is required to take, if any.
A student may be exempt from meeting Texas Success Initiative standards by meeting one of the following standards:
The revised College Board SAT test has been administered since March 5, 2016.
- Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW): 480
- Math: 530
- SAT (Prior to March 5, 2016) – Combined verbal and math score of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on the verbal test and/or math test
- ACT – Composite score of 23 or higher with at least a 19 on the English test and/or math sections
- TAKS – Minimum score of 2200 on both the English and/or math sections with at least a 3 on the writing component of the 11th grade TAKS (for a period of 3 years from the date of testing)
- STAAR EOC- English III Level 2 = 2000
- STAAR EOC- Algebra II Level 2 = 4000
- Military – Veterans and active duty personnel serving for at least 3 years preceding enrollment.
- Transfer – Transfer from a private or independent institution or an accredited out-of-state institution and has satisfactorily completed college-level coursework as determined by the receiving institution.
- Certificate – Enroll in a certificate program of one year or less (Level-One certificates, 42 or fewer semester credit hours or the equivalent) at a public community college, a public technical institute, or a public state college
- Course Placement for Exemptions at UTEP
For a complete list of TSI exemptions, see Texas Education Code, §51.3062(r) and Coordinating Board Rules, §4.54.